These ice cream sandwiches are the perfect balance of creamy vanilla and citrusy zest, with cookies just soft enough to easily bite into yet crisp enough to hold their shape.
Vanilla-Lime Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- Ice Cream:
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups chopped roasted salted pistachios
- For ice cream: In a large heavy saucepan, whisk together cream, milk, sugar, corn syrup, salt, and reserved vanilla bean seeds. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup hot cream mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining hot cream mixture in pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes. Pour into a bowl; place bowl in a larger bowl of ice. Let stand until cool, stirring occasionally. Remove bowl from ice, and refrigerate cream mixture until very cold, about 5 hours.
- Spoon chilled cream mixture into an ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a chilled freezer-safe bowl. Freeze until firm.
- For cookies: In a large bowl, beat butter, 1 cup sugar, zest, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Divide dough in half, and pat at each portion into a disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line several large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut dough into 20 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pans. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake until edges of cookies are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Let ice cream stand at room temperature until slightly softened. Using a large spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop about ½ cup ice cream onto flat side of half of cookies. Place remaining cookies, flat side down, on top of ice cream. Gently press together. Roll edges of sandwiches in pistachios. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, and freeze until firm.