Ultimate Southern Mac and Cheese
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
- 4 cups whole milk
- 4 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 (16-ounce) package penne pasta, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour, whisking to combine. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is light brown, approximately 15 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add milk, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to thicken, approximately 8 minutes.
- Add 4 cups Cheddar, 1 3⁄4 cups mozzarella, bacon, mustard, parsley, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and nutmeg, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in cooked pasta. Spoon into prepared dish; top with remaining 1⁄2 cup Cheddar and 3⁄4 cup mozzarella.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/