This Sweet Tea Pie is just about as Southern as it gets.
Sweet Tea Pie
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Write a review
- 1⁄2 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrust (1 sheet)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plain cornmeal
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup cold strong brewed unsweetened tea
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Garnish: lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll piecrust into a 12-inch circle. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake 15 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool 30 minutes on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cornmeal, and salt. Add eggs and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Add tea, butter, and lemon zest and juice; beat until combined. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, approximately 35 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with whipped cream; garnish with zest, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/