Sweet Potato Pie with Marshmallow Meringue
Yields: 1 (9-inch) pie
- Pie Dough
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potato purée
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Marshmallow meringue:
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll Pie Dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Trim excess dough to ½ inch beyond edges of plate. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of plate. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Bake 8 minutes more. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven to 350°.
- For filling: In a large bowl, stir together sweet potato and melted butter until combined. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, bourbon, vanilla, salt, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. Add egg mixture to sweet potato mixture, whisking until combined. Pour filling into prepared crust. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are set, about 45 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- For marshmallow meringue: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar at medium-high speed until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until soft peaks form.
- In a small saucepan, bring corn syrup, ⅓ cup water, and remaining ⅔ cup sugar to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until a candy thermometer registers 248°, about 15 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium, and gradually add sugar mixture. Increase mixer speed to high, and beat until stiff peaks form, 4 to 5 minutes. Add vanilla, and beat until combined. Spread marshmallow meringue onto pie; reserve extra for another use. Using a handheld kitchen torch, carefully toast topping, or broil just until peaks begin to brown, about 1 minute, watching carefully to prevent excess browning.
Yields: 1 (9-inch) crust
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, sugar, and salt; pulse until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add ¼ cup ice water in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. (Mixture should appear crumbly, but hold together when pinched.)
- Turn out dough, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. (Dough may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)