Simmered in apple cider, these sweet potatoes are infused with a bounty of fall flavor. The Candied Pecans take this recipe over the top, and are perfect for snacking.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Candied Pecans
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Candied Pecans (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, bring sweet potatoes, apple cider, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Drain, reserving ⅓ cup cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl, place sweet potatoes, reserved ⅓ cup cooking liquid, sugars, melted butter, apple pie spice, zest, and salt. Using a potato masher, mash to desired consistency. Stir in eggs. Spoon into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more. Sprinkle with marshmallows and Candied Pecans. Bake until marshmallows are lightly browned, about 7 minutes more.
Makes about 2 cups
- 6 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups pecan halves, toasted
- Line a small baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, combine brown sugar, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and sugar is moistened. Add pecans, stirring until coated. Spoon mixture onto prepared pan. Let stand until completely cool. Break into pieces.
Find more delicious recipes like this one in our newest issue of Taste of the South.