When you need something hearty and healthy this season, you’ll turn to this tasty chili time and time again.
Sweet Potato-Black Bean Chili
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) bag black beans, rinsed and sorted*
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (7½-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, puréed
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced mild Hatch green chiles
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Lime wedges, fresh cilantro, red onion, queso fresco, and cornbread, to serve
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add beans, 4 cups water, stock, onion, garlic, cumin, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, tomatoes, chipotle purée, green chiles, tomato paste, oregano, and salt. Cook on high until sweet potatoes are tender, about 2 hours and 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve with lime, cilantro, red onion, queso fresco, and cornbread, if desired.
*We used Camellia Black Beans.