Summertime can sometimes bring more squash than we can handle! This Summer Squash Lasagna is a delicious way to use up some of that wayward squash.
Summer Squash Lasagna
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 medium squash, cut lengthwise into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 21⁄2-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place squash in a single layer on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, and let stand 15 minutes. Press with additional paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook turkey and onion, stirring until turkey is browned and crumbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon garlic salt. In a separate bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, remaining 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic salt.
- Spread 1⁄2 cup tomato mixture evenly in prepared dish. Top evenly with half of noodles. Cover evenly with one-third of squash. Gently spread half of ricotta mixture over squash; sprinkle with half of turkey mixture. Top with half of remaining tomato mixture. Starting with noodles, repeat layers once. Top with remaining one-third squash.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Top with mozzarella, and bake until cheese is golden brown, approximately 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/