There’s no better way to start a sunny spring day than with these stunning treats.
Strawberry Morning Buns
- ¼ cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4½ cups bread flour
- 2 cups strawberry preserves or jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- For dough: In a small bowl, stir together ¼ cup warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add salt and remaining ½ cup sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, milk, and lemon juice, beating until combined. Stir in yeast mixture. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, beating until well combined, about 2 minutes. Switch to the dough hook attachment; beat for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- For filling: In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine preserves, sugar, and cornstarch. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until bubbly and thickened (about 3 minutes total). Let cool completely.
- Spray 2 (6-cup) jumbo muffin pans with baking spray with flour. Lightly punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread strawberry mixture onto dough. Starting at one long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style, and press edge to seal. Using a serrated knife, slice into 12 rolls. Place in prepared muffin cups, reshaping if necessary. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes. (Alternately, cover and refrigerate overnight; let cake come to room temperature before baking.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting onto warm rolls.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Make about 2 cups
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating well after each addition. Increase mixer speed to high. Add vanilla, and beat for 1 minute.