This pie is an ode to a favorite childhood drink—strawberry milk—with a fresh strawberry twist.
Strawberry Milk Pie
Yields: 1 (9-inch) pie
- ¾ pound fresh strawberries, chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- All-Butter Piecrust (recipe follows)
- Whipped cream and sliced fresh strawberries, to serve
- In a medium saucepan, bring strawberries and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat; using an immersion blender, purée mixture until smooth. Whisk in cream, milk, and salt. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, just until mixture begins to steam. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, place ⅓ cup cold water. Sprinkle gelatin over top; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk gelatin mixture into strawberry mixture until fully dissolved. Whisk in extracts.
- Pour strawberry mixture into All-Butter Piecrust. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Top with whipped cream and strawberries before serving.
Yields: (9-Inch) Crust
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Using a fork, stir in 4 tablespoons ice water until a shaggy dough forms. Add remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- Brush edges of dough with egg wash. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Top with a piece of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pan. Add pie weights.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Carefully remove paper and weights. Let cool completely.