A staff favorite, this crisp has a double layer of streusel.
Strawberry Double-Decker Crisp
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries and granulated sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bring strawberries to just below a boil over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water until dissolved. Add mixture to strawberries; cook, stirring occasionally, until strawberries begin to boil. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, salt, and pecans. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle half of oat mixture in a 9-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet. Top with strawberry mixture and remaining oat mixture.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/