Cajun seasoning adds a kick of heat to this crispy fried okra. Like your okra extra crispy? Keep it warm in a 200° oven for up to 20 minutes.
Spicy Fried Okra
Makes about 6 servings.
Write a review
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Canola oil, for frying
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- In a medium bowl, place 1 cup flour. In a large shallow pan, stir together cornmeal, Cajun seasoning, and remaining 1 cup flour. In another large shallow pan, stir together buttermilk and hot sauce.
- In a large deep skillet, pour oil until halfway full. Heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Working in batches, place okra in bowl with flour, stirring to coat. Shake off excess flour, and place in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Working in batches, carefully add okra to hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning occasionally. (Adjust heat to maintain 350°.) Remove okra from skillet, and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, to taste.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/