These flavorful preserves take only about half an hour to cook, and will be your new go-to topping for biscuits, toast, or even ice cream this fall.
Spiced Persimmon Preserves
Yields: 1½ cups
- 1 pound slightly soft Fuyu persimmons, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom honey
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- In a medium bowl, stir together persimmons and sugar. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Transfer persimmon mixture to a medium saucepan. Add ¼ cup water and all remaining ingredients; cover and bring to a full boil over medium heat. Boil rapidly for 1 minute, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Uncover; reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using a potato masher, mash persimmons to break up large pieces. Transfer to a shallow dish, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.