These cookies are full of fall spices; cut back on the amount for a milder cookie.
Spiced Brown Sugar Cookies
Makes about 16
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Harvest Spice Blend (recipe follows)
- 3 (4-ounce) bars bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and Harvest Spice Blend. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Add chocolate; beat until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a ⅓-cup spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop dough into level mounds, and place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until browned around edges, about 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire racks.
Harvest Spice Blend
Makes about 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined.
Find more fall-inspired desserts in our newest issue of Taste of the South.