Sweet and tangy cranberries add just the right amount of holiday flair to these classic cookies.
Sparkling Cranberry-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 18
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¾ cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- ½ cup chopped crystallized ginger
- ½ cup chopped candied pecans
- 4 ounces chopped dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate wafers
- ½ cup sparkling sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, beat melted butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg and extracts, beating 1 minute more. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture until fully combined, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Fold in cranberries, ginger, pecans, and chocolate. Cover and let dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place sparkling sugar in a small bowl. Using a ¼-cup spring-loaded scoop, scoop dough and roll into balls. Roll in sparkling sugar. Arrange dough balls on prepared pans 4 inches apart. (Bake in batches, if necessary, refrigerating the dough balls waiting to be baked.)
- Bake until cookies are puffed and edges are wrinkled and golden brown, about 14 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.