Chiles give this cornbread a spicy twist.
Southwest Skillet Cornbread
Makes about 12 servings
Write a review
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (8.5-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together cheese, buttermilk, oil, eggs, corn, and chiles. In a small bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add flour mixture to cheese mixture, stirring just until combined. Pour into prepared skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown, about 50 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/