This classic Southern-Fried Catfish, dipped in buttermilk and battered in seasoned yellow cornmeal, is a delicious and authentic Southern supper.
Yield: 8 servings
Write a review
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to halfway full. Heat oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°.
- In a shallow bowl, pour buttermilk. In another shallow bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper. Dip each catfish fillet in buttermilk, letting excess drain. Dredge each fillet in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Fry catfish until golden brown, turning several times, 6 to 8 minutes, adjusting heat as needed to maintain 350°. Drain on paper towels.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/