Spiced chili dogs are iconic to Southern states, and several states put their own twist on it. Using one seasoned beef chili recipe, you can create chili dogs from Alabama, North Carolina, and West Virginia. Find out how below.
This chili freezes great, so make extra for when those cravings strike. It also makes an excellent nacho and burger topping.
- 24 hot dog franks
- Hot dog buns, Spiced Chili (recipe follows), coleslaw, sauerkraut, mustard, and chopped onions, to serve
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Cook franks according to package directions. Serve on buns with Spiced Chili, coleslaw, sauerkraut, mustard, and onions.
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and starting to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Add ground chuck. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is cooked through and browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Add garlic, and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium, and add tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin, allspice, cayenne, cinnamon, and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add beef broth, mustard, and Worcestershire. Bring chili to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Using an immersion blender, pulse chili mixture to get a thick but spoonable consistency, 10 to 15 pulses. Bring chili to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and desired consistency is reached, 15 to 20 minutes more. Chili can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
West Virginia Chili Dog
Stuff hot dog bun with a frank, squeeze Dijon mustard down one side, and top with chili and shredded vinegar slaw.
Birmingham Chili Dog
Spread yellow mustard on hot dog bun, add frank and sauerkraut, and top with chili and diced onion.
Carolina Chili Dog
Stuff hot dog bun with frank, drizzle with yellow mustard, and top with chili and chopped creamy slaw.