Smoked Boston Butt
Write a review
- Mesquite wood chips
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (7- to 8-pound) bone-in Boston butt roast
- Soak wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat smoker to 225° to 250°. Sprinkle soaked mesquite chips over coals.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, paprika, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper. Spread mixture over all sides of roast. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place roast in smoker. Cook, covered with smoker lid, until meat is very tender, 11 to 12 hours. Remove from smoker, and let stand for 30 minutes. Shred roast, discarding fat and bone.
- Note: Meat can be shredded and frozen for up to 1 month. A drip pan is not necessary as the fat just drips into the water pan.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/