The shape of the smashed okra pods not only give them a unique look, but it helps them crisp in the oven.
Smashed Okra with Rémoulade
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 pound medium to large fresh okra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Rémoulade (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large bowl, place okra. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning; gently stir to coat.
- On a cutting board, place okra pods between two pieces of plastic wrap. Beginning ¼ inch below stem end of okra, gently smash with a meat mallet. Place okra in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn okra, and bake until lightly browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve immediately with Rémoulade. (Okra will lose its crispy texture if it cools too long.)
Yields: 1 cup
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.