For a delicious twist on a Southern classic, use this chicken to make chicken salad.
Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken with Biscuits
Yields: 5 cups
- 1 (3½-pound) whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon natural hickory liquid smoke
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Alabama White Sauce (recipe follows), biscuits, and dill pickles, to serve
- Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Using kitchen scissors, remove backbone from chicken; discard skin. Cut chicken into quarters.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 6 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together liquid smoke, paprika, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil; brush over chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, about 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low. Let cool slightly; shred chicken with a fork. Toss chicken with ½ cup cooking liquid.
- Serve with Alabama White Sauce, biscuits, and pickles.
Alabama White Sauce
Yields: 1¾ cups
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.