Bright spring vegetables get a hearty upgrade with the addition of salt pork.
Skillet Lima Beans and Turnip Greens with Salt Pork
Yields: About 5 servings
- ½ pound salt pork
- 1 pound frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 3 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups chopped fresh turnip greens
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cut a ½-inch-thick slice of fat from salt pork, and reserve. Trim remaining fat from salt pork; save for another use. Coarsely chop meat, and reserve.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add reserved slice of pork fat; cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Remove from heat. Slowly add lima beans, 3 cups water, and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Discard fat.
- Wipe skillet clean. Add oil to skillet, and heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped meat; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add turnip greens and reserved ½ cup liquid; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in lima beans, vinegar, paprika, red pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Serve immediately.