Deliciously fluffy, these fritters are the perfect addition to your summer plate.
Makes about 24
Write a review
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 cup sparkling water
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup chopped fresh shrimp
- Sriracha sauce, to serve
- In a large deep cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cheese, onion, jalapeño, baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. In a medium bowl, whisk together sparkling water and egg yolks. Pour over flour mixture, stirring until moistened. Stir in shrimp. In another medium bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into shrimp mixture.
- Working in batches, drop shrimp mixture by tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Serve with Sriracha sauce.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/