To have this delicious dinner on the table in less than 40 minutes, start cooking a pot of rice right before you begin making the roux. Learn how to make the perfect roux for any dish here.
Yields: 4-6 Servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups seafood stock
- 2 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked rice, to serve Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a medium enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium. Add onion, pepper, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in stock until smooth. Stir in shrimp, Cajun seasoning, paprika, salt, and celery seed. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until shrimp are firm, about 15 minutes. Stir in green onion. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with green onion, if desired.