Write a review
- 3 cups water
- 3½ cups half-and-half
- 2 cups quick-cooking grits
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pounds medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¾ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water and half-and-half to a boil over medium-high heat. Add grits; reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cheese, egg, salt, and red pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Bake until set, approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat in skillet. Crumble bacon. Set aside.
- In same skillet, heat rendered bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion; cook 3 minutes. Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and cream, stirring until combined. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes. Add shrimp; cook until shrimp are pink and firm, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Creole seasoning, stirring to combine. Spoon mixture over grits. Top with reserved bacon. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/