One of the best parts of this Sheet Pan Squash Casserole is the secret cheesy-cracker crust hidden underneath.
Sheet Pan Squash Casserole
Yields: 10 servings
- 2 pounds fresh squash, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 5 cups water
- ⅔ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 4½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coarsely crushed saltine crackers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 15x10-inch sheet pan with cooking spray.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring squash, 5 cups water, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Line bottom of prepared pan with crackers. Sprinkle 3½ cups cheese over crackers.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about
- minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, cream, garlic powder, pepper, eggs, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Spread squash mixture over melted cheese. Gradually pour egg mixture over squash. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. In a small bowl, toss together crushed crackers and melted butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake until center is set, about
- minutes. Sprinkle with additional pepper. Let cool on a wire rack for