Transformed from its traditional pie pan, we created an easy, quick-baking yet still hearty pot pie.
Sheet Pan Chicken Pot Pie
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts, room temperature
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place a sheet of foil on bottom rack of oven. Spray a small 13x9-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add broth and flour, stirring until combined. Add cream; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Stir in chicken, peas, and parsley. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16x11-inch rectangle. Cut dough into 11 (1-inch-wide) strips. Arrange dough strips in a lattice pattern on top of filling. Trim dough strips, and gently press to seal.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired.