Apple balances the savory flavors of this hearty bread dressing.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package breakfast sausage
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh sage
- 10 cups torn day-old white bread (about 1 (16-ounce) loaf)
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apple, cored and sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, garlic, and sage; cook, using the back of a spoon to break up meat, until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together sausage mixture, bread, broth, apple, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 25 minutes more. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
If using fresh white bread, bake bread cubes in an even layer at 250° for 1 hour.
For more delicious sides and such, subscribe to Taste of the South magazine.