This one-skillet breakfast is a perfect go-to for Christmas morning or brunching at home.
Rutabaga Breakfast Hash
- ½ pound ground sage pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1½ cups (½-inch) cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1½ cups (½-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Garnish: crushed red pepper, chopped fresh thyme
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a medium bowl, reserving drippings in skillet.
- To skillet, add 2 tablespoons oil. Add rutabaga; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add sweet potato; cook until vegetables are just tender, stirring frequently, 6 to 10 minutes. Transfer rutabaga mixture to bowl with sausage.
- To skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar, thyme, maple syrup, salt, and red pepper. Return rutabaga-sausage mixture to skillet.
- Make 4 wells in rutabaga mixture; crack 1 egg into each well. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until egg whites are opaque, 8 to 12 minutes. Garnish with red pepper and thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.