Sourdough adds a light as air texture to this dressing.
Rustic Cornbread and Sourdough Dressing
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 8 cups (1-inch cubes) sourdough bread
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, diced, and chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together sourdough and cornbread. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, set bacon aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons rendered bacon fat in skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add celery, green onion, and jalapeño to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add celery mixture to bread mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and broth. Crumble bacon; add egg mixture and bacon to bread mixture, stirring gently to combine. Spoon into prepared dish.
- Bake until top is golden brown and dressing is firm to the touch, approximately 1 hour.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/