Roasting strawberries intensifies their flavor and removes some of their moisture, ensuring a flakey, flavorful biscuit.
Roasted Strawberry Biscuits
- ¾ pound fresh strawberries, halved
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk, chilled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Butter and strawberry jam, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, and pepper. Spread strawberries onto one prepared pan, leaving some room between berries.
- Bake until sugar is bubbly and starting to caramelize, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly with some pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Using a fork, stir in buttermilk until a shaggy dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 4 to 5 times. Pat dough into a 8-inch square, 1 inch thick. Place half of roasted strawberries in a single layer on one half of square; sprinkle lightly with flour. Cut square in half, and stack plain half on top of strawberries. Roll into a 8-inch square, 1-inch thick. Repeat with remaining roasted strawberries. Cut square in half again, stack halves, and roll into a 7-inch square, 1½ inches thick. Cut into 9 squares. Place on remaining prepared pan, and brush with melted butter. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake until golden brown on top, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter and jam.
Kitchen Tip: To have biscuits ready to bake any time, shape and cut dough. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and freeze until solid, about 4 hours. Store in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag with parchment paper between biscuits. Place on baking sheet, and bake as directed when ready to use.