Browning the butter and sprinkling on Parmesan add irresistible flavor to these Roasted Mushrooms.
Roasted Mushrooms with Brown Butter and Parmesan
Makes 4 servings
- 2 (8-ounce) containers fresh baby portobello mushrooms*, quartered
- 2 (3.5-ounce) containers fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 large shallot, sliced (about ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, shallot, oil, salt, pepper, and thyme sprigs. Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake until mushrooms are golden brown and shallots are tender, 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer cooked mushrooms to a large bowl, discarding thyme. Drizzle with brown butter and vinegar; toss to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.
*Baby portobello mushrooms are often sold as creminis or “Baby Bellas.”