“I serve this roasted beet salad family style because it is so beautiful and full of color. Using a large platter makes it easier to serve and keeps all the ‘good stuff’ from settling to the bottom.” – Gena Knox
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 medium red or golden beets
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) container baby arugula
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- FIRST Preheat oven to 400°. Cut tops and bottoms from beets. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil; place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, approximately 40 minutes. Let cool. Unwrap beets; rub with paper towels to remove peel. Cut into wedges. Set aside.
- NEXT In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, thyme, and paprika. Gradually add oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- LAST In a large bowl, toss beets, arugula, and orange with enough dressing to lightly coat. Arrange on a serving platter; sprinkle with pecans.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Recipe by Gena Knox