Looking for a festive holiday breakfast? Serve these red velvet scones.
Red Velvet Scones
Yield: 8 scones
Write a review
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and cocoa powder. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is the size of small peas. In a small bowl, whisk together cream, food coloring, and vanilla. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add cream mixture, stirring until almost combined.
- Using your hands, press dough into a ball. Place dough on prepared pan; press into a 7-inch circle. Cut dough into 8 wedges. (Do not separate.) Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 23 minutes. Let cool on pan on a wire rack at least 30 minutes before slicing into wedges.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Serve scones with cream cheese mixture. Scones can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/