There’s nothing quite like Red Beans and Rice. The smoky and rich flavors combined with garden vegetables will leave you smiling after each bite.
Quick-and-Easy Red Beans and Rice
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (1-pound) package smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped Vidalia onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2½ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups quick-cooking rice
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from pan, and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Add beans, sausage, tomatoes, Creole seasoning, and paprika. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice, stirring to combine. Remove from heat. Cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Add rice to bean mixture. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/