Super easy and extra crispy, these Ranch-Fried Chicken Drumsticks will have you craving more.
Ranch-Fried Chicken Drumsticks
Write a review
- 1 (1-ounce) packet ranch dressing mix
- 3 cups whole buttermilk, divided
- 8 small chicken drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 11⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine dressing mix and 2 cups buttermilk. Seal bag, and shake until blended. Spoon 1⁄2 cup dressing into a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Add chicken to bag; seal and refrigerate for 8 hours. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Lightly pat chicken with paper towels.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to halfway full, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, stir together flour, salt, pepper, and onion powder. In a medium bowl, place remaining 1 cup buttermilk. Working in batches, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk; dredge in flour mixture again, pressing gently to adhere coating. Place chicken on a wire rack.
- Fry chicken in batches until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165°, about 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with chives. Drizzle with reserved 1⁄2 cup dressing.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/
Find more great recipes like this one in Taste of the South‘s January/February 2017 issue!