Write a review
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Spray a 10-inch tube pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 6 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to medium. Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk and extracts.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 batches, alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Tap pan against counter to release any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil, and continue baking until a wooden pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean, approximately 45 minutes longer.
- Let cake cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/