Let this pot roast cook on Sunday afternoon and enjoy leftovers during the week.
Pot Roast with Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 1 (3-pound) chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups peeled and coarsely chopped sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can beef consommé
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Rub roast with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook in skillet until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer roast to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add sweet potatoes, onion, celery, and tomatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine consommé, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, and chili powder, stirring well. Pour over roast.
- Cover, and cook on high until meat is tender and potatoes are cooked through, 4 to 5 hours.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/