Cheese cracker crumbs add a wonderful crunch to this Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, a Southern classic.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups crushed cheese crackers
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushroom and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in milk and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in chicken, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, stir together crushed crackers and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake until bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/