The addition of brewed coffee to this pot of smoky beans adds a robust flavor without a distinct coffee taste.
Pinto Beans with Smoked Turkey
Yields: 10 servings
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, sorted and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 jalapeño, pierced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 smoked turkey drumsticks
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- In a medium enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, combine beans and water to cover by 2 inches. Let stand for 8 hours. Drain.
- In same Dutch oven, bring beans, 6 cups water, onion, coffee, jalapeño, garlic powder, and pepper to a simmer over medium heat. (Do not boil.) Add turkey drumsticks. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, 1 to 1½ hours more. Shred meat from drumsticks; stir meat into beans. Serve immediately.