Smoked paprika adds deep flavor and beautiful color to this rich and creamy side dish.
Paprika Creamed Greens
Yields: 6-8 Servings
- 4½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 pounds fresh collard and mustard greens, stemmed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups half-and-half
- In a large Dutch oven, bring 4 inches water and 3 teaspoons salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Add greens; cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and place in an ice bath. Drain well, and squeeze dry.
- In a 12-inch enamel-coated cast-iron braiser, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour, paprika, and pepper; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half until smooth; bring to a boil. Stir in greens and remaining 1½ teaspoons salt; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.