Old School Fried Okra
Write a review
- 1 pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed and sliced
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine okra, cornmeal, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of ½ inch; heat oil to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, until golden brown. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
- Note: For an extra-crispy texture, okra can be cooked until almost black.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/