This Muscadine Pepper Jelly is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and tart.
Muscadine Pepper Jelly
Yields: 6 Cups
- 5 cups Muscadine Juice (recipe follows)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (1.75-ounce) package fruit pectin*
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large Dutch oven, bring Muscadine Juice to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in vinegar and pectin. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, bell pepper, red pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring frequently, until a candy thermometer registers 220°, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully ladle into canning jars, and refrigerate up to 2 months. Follow canning method on pectin package, if desired.
Yields: About 9 Cups
- 5 pounds muscadine or scuppernong grapes
- 5 cups water
- In a large Dutch oven, bring grapes and 5 cups water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Using a potato masher, continually mash grapes while they cook, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and strain through a fine-mesh sieve.