A hint of blue cheese makes the filling of this Mixed Potato Pot Pie deliciously creamy.
Mixed Potato Pot Pie
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1½ cups (½-inch) cubed Yukon gold potatoes
- 1½ cups (½-inch) cubed red potatoes
- 1½ cups (¾-inch) cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 2-quart oval baking dish with cooking spray. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan, bring all potatoes, 1½ tablespoons salt, and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes, reducing heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Stir in honey and vinegar; cook until mostly reduced, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle vegetables with flour; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add gorgonzola, sour cream, thyme, rosemary, pepper, and remaining 1½ tablespoons salt. Stir in potatoes; transfer to prepared dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one piecrust into an oval to fit baking dish; cut lengthwise into 1-inch-thick strips. Repeat with remaining piecrust, cutting dough crosswise into 1-inch-thick strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling. Trim strips to inside edge of baking dish, and press ends onto sides. Brush dough with egg white.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes. Garnish with sea salt, if desired.