Light and fruity bakes will brighten your winter, especially when you pop these Mini Upside-Down Orange-Cranberry Cakes onto your plate!
Mini Upside-Down Orange-Cranberry Cakes
Makes 12 mini cakes
- ⅓ cup plus ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 3 medium Cara Cara oranges
- 12 fresh or frozen thawed cranberries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a small stainless-steel skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer; cook until sugar is melted and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Slowly add orange juice, whisking until combined and smooth. Remove from heat. Divide caramel evenly among prepared muffin cups, about 1 tablespoon each.
- Using a serrated knife, cut oranges into 12 (¼-inch) slices. Using a 2-inch round cutter or a cutter the same diameter as the bottom of muffin cups, cut uniform rounds from orange slices. Use a ½-inch round piping tip to cut a hole in center of orange slices. Place 1 orange round in the bottom of each muffin cup and 1 cranberry in the center of each orange round.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat remaining ⅓ cup butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, ginger, cardamom, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into each muffin cup (about 3 tablespoons each).
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully invert onto a baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.