This pound cake is bursting with the distinctively sweet flavor and hint of orange characteristic of the Meyer lemon.
Meyer Lemon-Coconut Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze
Makes one (10-inch) Bundt or tube cake or two (9 x 5-inch) loaf pans
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ cup well-shaken buttermilk, at room temperature
- Zest and juice of 3 Meyer lemons*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Zest and juice of 3 Meyer lemons
- Pinch of sea salt
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10-inch Bundt pan or two (9x5-inch) loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom.
- In a medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl several times, and stirring just until combined. (Do not over mix.) Gently fold in coconut.
- Spread about two-thirds of the batter evenly into the prepared pan or pans; top with remaining batter in center of pan to make a mound. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour, undisturbed. Rotate pan, and continue to bake until cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cake cool in the pan for 15 to 20 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan before inverting the cake onto a wire rack to continue to cool.
- For glaze: In a small saucepan, combine the confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and juice, and salt over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Brush glaze over the top and sides of cake. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
*You can substitute regular lemons if Meyer lemons are unavailable.
Calories: 7644 Fat: 362g Saturated fat: 233g Unsaturated fat: 105g Trans fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 1014g Sugar: 594g Sodium: 2494mg Fiber: 35g Protein: 106g Cholesterol: 1863mg