When there’s no time for yeasted dough, this quick bread packs all the flavor of king cake into an easy-to-bake treat.
Mardi Gras Streusel Bread
Yields: 1 (9×5-inch) loaf
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup mixed jimmies (green, gold, purple)
- Sprinkle Streusel (recipe follows)
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup mixed jimmies (green, gold, purple)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a metal 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Whisk flour mixture into butter mixture. Whisk in sour cream and milk until just combined. Fold in jimmies. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing with an offset spatula. Top with Sprinkle Streusel.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, jimmies, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Crumble with your fingertips until desired consistency is reached.