Twenty-one cups of greens sounds like a lot, but trust us, they cook down to tender creamy perfection under a blanket of cheese.
Leek and Collard Green Gratin
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 large leeks, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 large bunches fresh collard greens, stemmed and torn into 3-inch pieces (21 packed cups)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a 13x9-inch baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Place half of leeks in dish. Pack collard greens on top of leeks. (They will be higher than edges of dish.) Top with remaining leeks. Sprinkle with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Pour cream over leeks and collard greens; top with cheese.
- Bake until top is crispy and greens are tender about 50 minutes.
Find more spring greens in our March/April issue of Taste of the South Magazine.