A salad this bright, fresh, and healthy deserves a spot on any menu.
Lady Pea Salad
Makes 8 Cups
- 1 pound lady peas*
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Butter lettuce leaves, to serve
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves, ground black pepper
- Rinse lady peas with cold water and remove any hulls and debris.
- In a large pot, bring lady peas, broth, garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until lady peas are just tender but not mushy, about 1 hour, adding more broth if needed. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine celery, bell pepper, parsley, basil, vinegar, oil, and sugar. Fold in cooled lady peas; cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Add black pepper and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Serve over lettuce. Garnish with basil and black pepper, if desired.
*We used Camellia Brand Lady Cream Peas.