Herbed Squash Casserole
Write a review
- 2 pounds yellow squash, ends trimmed and cut into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Place squash slices in the basket of a steamer with approximately 1 inch water in the saucepan below. Bring water to a boil, and steam squash until tender when pierced with a fork, approximately 12 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, combine egg, mayonnaise, chives, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add steamed squash and 3⁄4 cup cheese to mayonnaise mixture, stirring gently to combine.
- Pour into a 9x9-inch baking dish, and top with remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/