Grilling watermelon caramelizes the sugars and intensifies its flavor, making it the perfect companion to juicy tomato slices and salty cheese crumbles.
Grilled Watermelon and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 8 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into ¼- to ½-inch-thick slices
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely diced shallot
- ¼ cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into ½-inch-thick slices and rind removed
- 4 ounces crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fennel fronds
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Let tomato slices rest on paper towels to absorb excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup oil, shallot, vinegar, lemon zest and juice, grapefruit juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Add watermelon; cook, turning once, until charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Arrange tomato slices on a large serving plate. Top with watermelon and ricotta salata. Drizzle with dressing. Top with basil, mint, fennel fronds, and green onion.